Skip to main content

Awesome, Delicious, Maple Brussel Sprouts. Amazing!


Yummm-i-licious! I think best describes this savory, sweet side dish of _________? Well I'll tell you what, you try this and then give me one word that you think describes it!
I have always liked brussel sprouts even as a kid, cooked in salted water with butter from the freezer case but it has only been about a couple months since I bought and prepared my very first "fresh", never frozen, brussel sprouts! I could not believe the difference! Oh my yumminess! Sooo much better!
So for those who may not be big on brussels, they have a deep pungient flavor. The kind of flavor that needs a little sweetness added to, kind of like collards. So, I began experimenting. I made my first batch and they were really good. On my next batch I thought I would add in some cauliflower since I do like cooked cauliflower, but that was a real mistake. I added this took away that and Long story short I ended up with what I think is a perfectly imperfect BS concoction! Below is the recipe for you to try or at least as close as I can get to a recipe because I rarely measure anything when I am trying and perfecting new recipes. Enjoy!
Eat Like you mean it!
Julie
Spicy Maple candied Brussel Sprouts by Julie
**First, A Note!
If you substitute any ingredient in this recipe, such as bacon instead of pancetta, or pancake syrup for the Real Maple Syrup, it will change the delicious outcome of this recipe.
Ingredients:
*1 pound of Fresh Brussel Sprouts
*3 large Fresh Garlic Cloves, chopped
*1 or 2 large Jalapeno Pepper, chopped (If you do not like any heat, omit)
*6 ounces Pancetta (Italian Bacon) sliced into small pieces
*Olive Oil of your choice
*1/4 - 1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup
Preparations:
**As you prepare each ingredient set it aside in it's own little prep bowl for an easier way to add it later.
*Wash, pat dry, and slice brussel sprouts in half. Remove any "yucky" outer leaves if any and place in an appropriate sized bowl. Lightly salt and pepper then toss to coat. Set aside.
*Peel and chop the garlic.
*Wash and chop the Jalapenos.
*Slice up the pancetta.
*Set out the Olive Oil and Maple Syrup by the cook top.
We are ready to cook!
Directions:
*Place pancetta in a 9-10 inch skillet in a single layer. Cook over a medium heat until pancetta is almost done.
*At this point add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan and immediately add the brussels and toss them around to cover them in the olive oil. Drizzle a bit more olive oil over the sprouts if needed. Cover with lid and cook until brussels just begin to soften and become brighter in color. (See pic below.) Immediately add garlic and jalapeno peppers. Cover and cook about 5 or so minutes over low gas heat stirring once or twice.
* Remove lid and deglaze your pan with the maple syrup. Stir and let simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes. Keep watch so they do not burn. Depending on the amount of maple syrup you added and the cook time this will determine the amount of carmelization. If you want more, add the syrup sooner and always remove the cover after adding the syrup.
*The key here is cook the sprouts to a soft firmness but do not allow them to become mushy. If so they will lose their flavor.
*Serve Hot! This dish pares well with any meat really.
I hope I have written this well enough for you to make your own yummy sprouts. Should you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Warm Spring Supper

Dinner is finally in the oven to cook for about 45 minutes and I am finally getting to sit on the back porch on this totally warm evening. "Deep breath." Tonight I have made barbecued country style pork ribs with a side of parsley and herb roasted potatoes. Smells delicious! Before I put the ribs in the covered stoneware baker I seasoned them with greek seasoning and browned them on both sides in olive oil on the stove top. Then I put them in the covered stoneware baker and poured the juice from the pot over top of them. I sliced up a large, sweet onion and covered the ribs with them and then sprinkled on some 21 salute spice mix.  I mixed up a concoction of two barbecue sauces, chili sauce, and a little chipolte spice and poured it over the top. I have it baking in a 385 degree oven. For the potatoes: I simply peeeled and quartered medium sized potatoes, washed and dried them and placed them in a size appropiate bowl. I drizzled olive oil all over them, added salt and pepper

Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Cookies

A little recipe to cheer up your wintery days. I have been asked for and given this recipe many times. So just as it was shared with me, I am going to share it here with you. This recipe is simple, yet these cookies are so very yummy! **Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Cookies** **Ingredients: 1/2 cup butter 3 tblsps. unsweetened cocoa powder 2-1/2 cups sugar 1/2 cup milk 1/2 cup peanut butter 1 tsp. pure vanilla 2 cups oatmeal **Preperation: This recipe is completely stirred by hand. Pre-measure all of the ingredients and set aside. Lay out a 24" piece of waxed paper onto a solid surface. **Directions Combine butter, sugar, cocoa, and milk in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a full boil then time it for exactly one minute at a full boil. Remove from heat and then add the vanilla and peanut butter. Lightly mix until just creamy, then stir in the oats. Using a tablespoon, drop cookies onto wax paper. Let cool. Store in an airtight